Crunchy, bitter, acidic, juicy: If these words don’t make you think of salad, this gorgeous dish is about to expand your vocabulary.
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 cup seedless black grapes, halved if large
- 8 cups torn or sliced Treviso and/or Chioggia radicchio
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup unsalted, roasted almonds, chopped
- 2 ounces aged goat cheese, crumbled (about ⅓ cup)
Combine vinegar, sugar, star anise, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, 2 tsp. salt, 2 Tbsp. orange juice, and ¼ cup water in a medium bowl or glass jar; stir (or cover and shake) until sugar and salt dissolve. Add grapes and let sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
Toss radicchio in a large bowl with oil, 3 Tbsp. strained pickling liquid, and remaining 1 Tbsp. orange juice; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and scatter drained pickled grapes, almonds, and goat cheese over top.
Do Ahead: Grapes can be pickled 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.