- Diet & lifestyle
- Vegetarian meals
This is a much loved recipe for my family. Also it's a great way to get veg into kids. The Bolognese sauce in this recipe leaves about half left over so there's plenty left for another meal too.
Lancashire, England, UK
29 people made this
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 800g lean turkey thigh mince
- 300ml (1/2 pt) chicken stock
- 500g passata
- 2 tablesoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 8 mushrooms, diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 marrow, sliced into rings with the seeds removed
- grated cheese, to taste
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr5min
- Fry the onion, carrot and celery in a little oil until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the turkey mince and fry until nicely browned. Use a wooden spoon to break up any lumps. Stir in the stock, passata, tomato puree and parsley. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and leek then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid has gone.
- Meanwhile lay out the marrow rings into a baking dish and preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- When the sauce is ready stuff into the centre of the marrow rings tightly. Cover with foil to catch the steam (to cook the marrow).
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and take off the foil. Careful because the steam is hot! Sprinkle the bolognese with grated cheese.
- Return, uncovered, to the oven for a further 15 minutes. Lastly serve with rice or pasta and enjoy!
If you use plain passata add 2 garlic cloves at the point you're frying your onion.